- Nightmare Fuel: The Big Bad. He eats people, and his own flesh is slowly dissolving away as he morphs into...something.
- Fridge Logic: Getting the compass wrong wouldn't have made them walk in circles. Aiming for the same peak continually should have prevented that unless they somehow climbed down the same side they climbed up.
- Jerkass Woobie: Bob
- Nightmare Fuel: The bear.
- Retroactive Recognition: Harold Perrineau plays Bob's assistant, and it's not the last time he plays a plane crash survivor who encounters a bear and ends up a goner.
- Tear Jerker: See Bittersweet Ending. Bob's death is pretty heartbreaking too - even if he tried to kill Charles, seeing him dying just before the rescue is quite painful.
- The Untwist: After the bear is killed, just when the viewer thinks the narrative thrust of the film has been about Charles overcoming his distrust about his wife's possible infidelity, in a very Mamet twist it turns out that — surprise! — Bob was sleeping with her after all.