- Ambiguous Disorder: The Duke. He appears to have no real friends and rarely interacts with anyone else in the film aside from Bess or Georgiana. He's cold, distant and admits several times he's not good at expressing his feelings; while the closest he comes to expressing any emotion (other than anger) is when interacting with Bess' sons and his pet dogs.
- Award Snub: Keira Knightley, who was praised pretty much universally for her performance, only received a few measly nominations.
- Les Yay: Between Georgiana and Bess to the point of being a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship.
- Moral Event Horizon: The Duke crossed it for a lot of viewers when he rapes Georgiana.
- Tear Jerker: Georgiana having to give up her illegitimate daughter.
Georgiana: "Her name is Eliza!"
- The Woobie: Georgiana and Bess