- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- The Dover boys, in spite of their upstanding nature and heroic antics, are bland, self-righteous, and almost called "jerks" by the Lemony Narrator. Conversely, Dan Backslide is an Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain you can't help but feel sorry for. Of course, this is encouraged by the cartoon itself, for humor.
- Was Dora really too dumb to understand the door was locked on her side, or was she hoping for the Dover Boys to show up and "rescue" her as a demonstration of how much they cared about, and decided to leave with the bathing suit guy unhappy that they took too long to get to her.
- Fountain of Memes: Dan Backslide, coward-bully-cad-and-thief. AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
- Fridge Brilliance:
- Dora's kidnapping shows that both her and Dan are strong enough to carry a tree, and that they're dumb enough to not notice at first. Between that and Dan being a coward-bully-cad and thief, it makes sense that he wouldn't know how to handle Dora at the cabin and was thrown around like he was.
- Why does Dora run off with the Old Sailor? Because she was still behind the door when the Dover boys knocked it open, and that was her way of getting payback.
- Genre Turning Point
- Growing the Beard: This, along with "The Draft Horse", was a major turning point in Jones's career, when he decided to abandon his Disney-esque roots in favor of making funny cartoons.
- Memetic Mutation: The page quote.
Dan Backslide: A runabout... I'LL STEAL IT! NO-ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
- The above lines has evolved into: "A (X)... I'LL STEAL IT! NO-ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
- In an odd example, Dan Backslide's line "Confound those Dover Boys! ... They drive me to drink!" has become half the source for, of all things, a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic meme. Someone took an out-of-context screencap of Twilight Sparkle with what looks like a bottle of liquor, tossed in Dan Backslide's line with "Ponies" replacing "Dover Boys," and just like that, the Dover Boys had made yet another lasting contribution to internet lore. Also a YouTube video.
- To viewers of the MLP streaming site Bronystate, the cartoon will forever be linked with the mashup-remix "1000 PEOPLE CLICKED ON THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON BY ACCIDENT", which features clips of Backslide and even uses "Confound those ponies!" during the intro. It got to the point where an alternate version of the video was made especially for Bronystate, which started off as The Dover Boys but cut to the mashup when Backslide was about to say "Confound those Dover Boys!" specifically to fool viewers who were seeing it for the first time via the stream.
They drive me to UNPROTECTED BUTT FUN!
- "A meme about the Dover Boys! THEN DORA MUST BE ALONE AND UN-PRO-TEC-TED!!!!"
- Recently, the cartoon has been EXPLODING in popularity on Tumblr. Just search for it there, and count how many memes you find.
- Watch It for the Meme: Confound these memes, they drive me to watch!
- "Weird Al" Effect: Seriously, would you have heard of the Rover Boys at all except for this 'toon?
- The Woobie: It's hard not to feel bad for Dan Backslide near the end. Sure, he's a coward-bully-cad-and-thief, but he's long since given up his dastardly intentions by the time the Dover Boys arrive to beat him senseless, as Dora's already beaten him within an inch of his life.