- Adaptation Distillation: The comic put out by Marvel is even better than the first book.
- Growing the Beard: The series was pretty bad before Chiun became a major character. The first book is barely recognizable.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: From 016 - Oil Slick
Dr. Ravelstein (while disparaging a colleague's gas substitute): "The country can't run on three-dollar-a-gallon gas."
- Retroactive Recognition: Kate Mulgrew, who later became much better-known for the role of Captain Kathryn Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager, plays a Damsel in Distress US Army major in the 1985 film.
- The Scrappy: Ruby Gonzales was this for many fans.
- Values Dissonance: Especially in the early books, the series sports much casual racism and women are largely treated as slaves to their bodies, able to be seduced by anyone who understands the simple workings of their minds. It's pretty much typical for the era when the novels came out though.