The book series:
- War is BAD.
- Organized religion is literally puppy-kicking awful, if you believe The Prophet of Yonwood.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Doon and Lina, though they are Platonic Life Partners for most of the series.
- It Was His Sled: The fact that Ember is an Underground City is not found out until the end of the first book, but good luck finding someone who treats that like a spoiler (Hell, it even says this on the main page!).
- Paranoia Fuel: One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the situation in The Prophet of Yonwood (the U.S. battling a terrorist nation that threatens total war) is a natural progression from what the world is going through today.
The film adaptation:
- Crowning Music of Awesome: "One Last Message", perfectly fits over the credits and end sequences.
- Only the Creator Does It Right: The often gets this in comparison to the book.