YMMV: The Acts of Caine
- Ass Pull: The ends of Heroes Die and especially Blade of Tyshalle may seem like this, although they do make narrative sense. However, both are about a model of destiny where expecting events to spin out of your control isn't unnatural but normal and to be expected.
- Complete Monster: Berne distinguishes himself from other assassins, like Caine, in being a stone cold psychopath, torturer and rapist. We first see his insanity manifest when he kills a nonhuman prostitute for absolutely no reason, and he relentlessly hounds Caine and his allies with murder on his mind. Berne kills any of Caine's allies that he can and, at one point, tries to rape a captive man as an interrogation tactic. At the end of the day, Berne's only goal is to kill whom he can and get away with it. He especially wants a fight with Caine to satisfy his bloodlust.
- Freud Was Right: Oh so much.
- Idiot Plot: Lampshaded by Toa-Sytel when he realizes that Caine is an Aktir.
- Jerk Sue: Caine comes dangerously close, but then he falls in love and becomes fiercely devoted to his family. Getting badly wounded on several occasions and crippled once tends to avert Sue-ism as well.
- Magnificent Bastard: Ma'elKoth in Heroes Die.
- Nausea Fuel: Quite a bit.
- Tear Jerker: A couple in Heroes Die.