YMMV: That Thing You Do!
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Anytime Steve Zahn as Lenny opens his mouth.
Restaurant Manager: (fanning a wad of bills) Do you know what this is?Lenny: Presidential flashcards?
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: When Faye hears "That Thing You Do" on the radio for the first time, and dashes down the street to tell everyone else. Also a Crowning Moment of Funny, since she's running down the street shrieking, scares the bass player — and then they both barrel into Guy's father's store and cause a huge scene jumping around with the rest of the band.
- After the TV show, Guy tells Faye sincerely how gorgeous she looks. (Nobody else has.)
- The very quiet, very careful scene between Guy and Faye near the end, after Jimmy has left her and the band. "Gentlemen... I'd forgotten what you fellas look like."
- Every scene between Faye and Guy counts, like when he insists to the band's first manager that she comes to Pittsburgh with them, or where she comes down with the flu and only Guy is shown worrying about and caring for her.
- Fridge Brilliance: Not really noticeable unless you're paying attention. Listen to just how many times the movie plays through "That Thing You Do". When the band is starting out, it's a catchy tune, for some bordering on Crowning Music of Awesome. But then they play it for the recording session, then on the radio, then on tour, and then, and then, and then. By the end of the movie, no matter how much you liked it, you're starting to get just a little bit tired of hearing it so many times in a row. Which is exactly what it's like to listen to a one-hit wonder, a decent song overexposed all to hell until the audience is sick of it.
- One of the reasons for the constant mispronunciation of the band name as "O-NEE-ders" may be that Oneida, NY is not very far away from Erie, PA and a fellow Great Lakes town. The locals probably think they're stating they're from Oneida.
- Jerkass Has a Point: That Jimmy is a Jerkass is undeniable, but at the same time his frustration is legitimate. Mr. White is taking control of what was supposed to be his band, going as far as replacing the bass player without even consulting the band. Then after months of asking when they would get to cut a record, Jimmy is told that he'll only get one original per side, one of which is presumably "That Thing You Do" meaning he only gets to do one new song of his own. Add to this his being overshadowed in popularity by Guy and by the end of the movie The Wonders are simply not his band anymore.