- Anvilicious: This setting practically beats the reader over the head with its themes about corruption and the abuses of American society.
- Complete Monster: Redstone is invulnerable, super strong, has heat vision, and uses these powers to kill innocent bystanders in the most horrifically graphic ways imaginable. He tears off limbs, hurls cars, boils people in swimming pools with his heat vision, and threatens Los Angeles with a nuclear bomb - all with a smile. No wonder Hyperion wants to kill him. He is, essentially, Superman without a conscience and with an extremely violent and depraved personality before gaining his powers.
- Idiot Plot: Everyone in The Government... Right up until General Alexander shows up, lampshading it with "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
General Alexander: You had access to an artifact from a non-human civilization! Do you realize what you had, what you let get away from you? Do you? Then let me explain it to you! Imagine handing an F-16 to the Aztecs in 1521, when Cortez was at war with them, and instead of learning to fly so they could slice Cortez and his army to shreds, they cut off the wings to use as shields, the guns as clubs, and they take off the wheels because they figured they would look really cool hanging from the temple ceiling! This is exactly what you people and your agencies have been doing since day one, and worse still, you've been doing it in secret, not just from the public, which we expect, but from each other! As a result, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! And what has the left hand been doing all this time? Jerking off, that's what! And what've you got to show for it? One guy [Doctor Spectrum]! And a bunch of melted metal where the ship used to be!
- Magnificent Bastard: General Alexander, Emil Burbank, Hyperion
- Seasonal Rot: Howard Chaykin's run has been taken very poorly.
- Toy Ship: Sort of; The Amphibian isn't a child, but is incredibly childlike, and her obvious attachment to Doc Spectrum is adorable.