- Heartwarming Moments: When Jo helps any family on this show, their lives are inevitably changed for the better, and we the audience even get to see future checkups on the family in question!
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: A very unusual variant and the reason for YMMV. The Peterfreund dad liked to discipline his boys by placing hot sauce on their tongues—for any infraction, not just bad language. Unusual in that up to then, viewers had only seen parents who did ineffective time-outs, spanked, or just didn't discipline period. Jo makes clear that this is crazy and will not work, but the Peterfreunds act like it will.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Some mild examples. In early seasons, when Jo said something like, "That's unacceptable behavior," it came out sounding like "unacceptable" had two soft C's. In fact, a nine-year-old kid very rudely called her on it. It improved markedly in later seasons. In some early episodes, Jo does not fully explain all techniques, or she may perform a technique slightly differently than she was known to in later years.
- Ear Worm: The show's early theme can be this.
- Enfant Terrible: The children, while disrespectful and aggressive, are very rarely this. However, the parents are often so overwhelmed that they think their kids are this, and say so. Having said that, a few children acted out so much they even shocked Jo. Special mention to three-year-old Kaiden Mc Kinney, whose behavior was so aggressive Jo didn't use time-outs; instead, he was given a "one strike and you're out" policy. Special mention also to Megan Cook and Maddie Porter, two nine-year-old girls who could and did out-tantrum kids a third their age.
- Tear Jerker: Potentially for viewers, and tears flow freely in-universe from parents as well as kids.