- Crowning Moment of Funny: Frank Mullen is a veritable wellspring of these. Chief among them is his drunken rendition of "New York, New York", as well as one of his frequent impromptu standup routines as shown here, but really, go to a Suffocation show and there's a chance that Frank will say or do something highly amusing.
- Face of the Band: Mullen and Hobbs share these duties.
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks: One of the non-production criticisms against Breeding the Spawn. This stance more or less disappeared after a few years.
- Nightmare Fuel: Many of their song lyrics and music videos have a high quotient of this, with the video for "Cataclysmic Purification" being a standout example.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Any death metal fan who knows anything will cite Human Waste and Effigy as all-time classics, but few people can fathom just how much those albums changed the face of death metal.
- Signature Song: "Liege of Inveracity", "Infecting the Crypts", "Pierced from Within", and "Thrones of Blood".
- Sophomore Slump: Big-time. Some aspects of Breeding the Spawn have been Vindicated by History; particularly, the song-writing, which was attacked at the time as failing to bring any new element to their sound, is now considered to have been among the most technical ever produced by the band. However, to this day it's generally agreed that the production and engineering is a total failure that brings the album down several notches.