- Anvilicious: Let's just say Rowntree isn't a big fan of subtlety. See also Author Tract and Author Filibuster.
- Critical Backlash: In this comic, Rowntree pokes fun at DC's latest reboot. The problem was, he also poked fun at Batman on Cracked.com, probably the biggest collection of batfans on the internet. Coupled with Rowntree clearly never reading a comic about any of the four characters in his article, the comment section really let him have it.
- Genius Bonus: Applied fairly often, such as here. The "16th century Russian howitzer" is in fact the 1586-built Tsar Cannon, and can still be found in present-day Moscow.
- Jerk Sue: The Sphinx.
- Nightmare Fuel: Has its own page.
- Tear Jerker:
- Ugly Cute: Most of the monsters Rowntree draws. Just look at some of them in this strip without going "D'aaaw" at some point.
- The Woobie: Most of the characters who have appeared more than twice. Yes, even the Sphinx.