- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Almost everyone in this book, protagonist included, is a selfish jerk at worst or a moron who doesn't know any better at best. It's really hard to root for Carson given his superiority complex and hatred of everyone around him.
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Implied or intended.
Mom: "Since opposites attract, I would like to think that he was so positive the moment he died - so happy, he pulled that bolt right out of the sky."
- Moral Event Horizon: Carson's mother willfully sabotaging his chance at going to Northwestern just because she thinks dreams don't come true at ALL.
- Carson blackmailing everyone.
- In the book, Carson finally deciding it is better to manipulate others than to be suppressed, fourtunately he dies shortly after.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Is being killed by lightning a punishment from God or Zeus?
- The motive about flying and reaching the sky as a limit in the book. Although Icarus is not mentioned.