YMMV: Stephen Sondheim
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Actually adapting Sweeney Todd for the cinema while remaining faithful to the original musical. Sondheim approves of Tim Burton.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: He is, after all, Stephen frickin' Sondheim.
- True Art - If you're a detractor, anyway:
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: Anyone Can Whistle and Sunday in the Park with George are total Mind Screws.
- True Art Is Angsty: We did mention that his most famous show is about a serial killer, right?
- And the main competitor for "most famous" is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. You know, teenaged star-crossed lovers, fatal miscommunication, gang violence... what's not to love?
- Then there's Bounce, which was initially a buddy comedy. It wasn't received all that well. Then it was re-tooled as Road Show, and was much darker, and received a better reception.
- Evening Primrose doesn't sound like it would be, but after watching it, you will feel uncomfortable. Because it turns out, the mannequins in department stores are murdered and well-preserved people... And while it is one of his lesser known works, it is now considered a particular gem in hiss career.