YMMV: Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
- Anvilicious/Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: "Don't judge people by their appearance." "Don't hide from the truth." "Live up to your own standards before imposing them on everyone else." "If you were wrong, own up to it." "If a girl in your school has third-degree burn scars on her face and hands, and she happens to be wicked smart and articulate, don't piss her off."
- Moral Event Horizon: Crossed repeatedly by Virgil Byrnes; crossed a few times by Mautz, such as when he attributes Mark's suicide attempt to the other students in Lemry's class.
- Nightmare Fuel: Sarah Byrnes' facial scars. Though how she got them is good for a few sleepless nights, too.
- Virgil stabbing Eric, and then chasing him through town with the knife still in his skin. And Dale having to remove the knife with his bare hands. If you have a weak stomach, do not read that spoiler.
- The Woobie: Eric, Lemry, Ellerby, Jody, Sandy, Carver... This one, 216-page book rivals the entire Harry Potter series as a deep, dark pit of Woobiedom. (And for the record, Harry Potter has a Woobie page to itself.)