- Alternative Character Interpretation: Is Leo a basically good guy who made a mistake and deserves a second chance, or is he a spineless Designated Hero who it would be best if Stargirl never saw again?
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Stargirl leading the students of Mica High in the bunny hop dance number at the climax of the Ocotillo Ball.
- Iron Woobie: Stargirl. Good God.
- First Installment Wins: The sequel is not as popular as the first book, probably because the first book is common reading material for elementary and middle school.
- Tear Jerker: Several, but the ultimate moment has to be when Stargirl, after changing her behavior, her clothes and even her name to fit in with the other students, wins the grand prize at the speaking competition and triumphantly returns to Mica High only to find that everyone still hates her, when nobody but Dori Dilson and a few teachers show up at what was supposed to be her grand homecoming parade.
"There was no confetti, no kazoos. Nothing cheered, not even a mockingbird."
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Dori Dilson, as the only person in the school, even including Leo, to not turn on Stargirl, is not given nearly as much focus as she could have been. In the sequel, she's only mentioned a handful of times.