YMMV: Star Wars Expanded Universe
Due to the schism between the old EU and the new EU, this YMMV section has been split up accordingly.
New EU YMMV
- Archive Panic: Averted if you're going by Disney's new Expanded Universe. You shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping up with all the new material... For now, that is.
- Author's Saving Throw:
- Broken Base:
- As if Disney were trying to break the fandom further, it's been announced by Lucasfilm that the entire EU is now non-canon because the writers of the new trilogy want to have a fresh slate to work on. This is causing major division between fans who object to over three decades' worth of work is casually being tossed out to create a consistent setting, and those who refused to acknowledge the EU before and are glad it's non-canon.
- Crack Is Cheaper: Subverted, for the time being, if you're just getting into the stuff that Disney declares canonical. Which will still be a lot, but at least you'll have time to know what you're getting into.
- Misblamed: Given J. J. Abrams' reboot of Star Trek, don't be surprised if you see fans accusing J.J. of wiping out the Star Wars EU canon. Also, don't be surprised if you see people blaming George Lucas for Disney's decision, because... Well, he's George Lucas. Admittedly, the policy does largely follow what was George's own position towards the former EU back when he was in charge, but that was always his position and never pretended otherwise.
- Sturgeon's Law: The Lucasfilm Story Group is doing their best to ensure that this won't be the case for the new Expanded Universe, making sure that the new stories are all consistently good instead of vastly varying in terms of quality.