YMMV: Star Ocean 1
- Crowning Music of Awesome: New Human Race, the theme that plays when you fight Neo Revorse in Star Ocean. This theme is made all the more awesome upon the realization that It's the same melody that is played by Dorne's music box and by Pericci when she's playing her flute.
- It's also rather odd when you consider that the soundtrack was made by Motoi Sakuraba, who is often known for rather...chaotic sounding music. Some of the music is definitely his style, such as Immediately Before, but New Human Race still takes the cake for crowning music of awesome...Immediately Before just comes in close second
- Ho Yay: In one PA, Ronyx is a little too interested in what Roddick's tail would feel like to touch, and it freaks poor Roddick out so much that he runs straight to the other side of the bridge they're on!
- And another PA involving a freakishly effective love potion getting spilled on poor Roddick.
- It's Short, so It Sucks : Some of the critcisms targeted at the PSP rerelease. The game actually is pretty short for an RPG. (One can practically breeze through the game in 15 hours...or less.) Most people didn't exactly realize that the super nintendo version was just as short (if not even shorter, because the remake added new possibilties), and that most of the time is spent micromanaging the (rather thorough) skill system and getting PAs that develop the characters further.
- Strangled by the Red String: Roddick and Millie in the first game, no matter how much you tried to set him up with Ilia. This became a retroactive necessity to ensure Claude's existence since it's heavily implied by the second game that Ilia is his mother.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Some of the names were actually more unique sounding in the original version (Ratix, Ronixis), and Phia was originally named Fear, a rather badass name compared to Phia.
- Not to mention, Ioshua was named Joshua in the fan translation.