YMMV: Stand by Me
- Adaptation Displacement: Not a lot of people know the novella the movie is based on.
- Harsher in Hindsight: River Phoenix's character in the film dies an untimely death. Phoenix slowly fades into the scenery and vanishes.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Meta example. Rob Reiner seemed to be fine with the kid gang portrayed smoking mainly because it happened in the book. 17 years later Reiner who is now known as one of the biggest advocates of anti smoking gets parodied in South Park.
- During the campfire scene, Gordie says "Wagon Train is a cool show and all, but they never get anywhere. They just keep...wagon-training." The next year Wil Wheaton would, of course, become a cast member on Star Trek: The Next Generation . Star Trek was described (and pitched) by Gene Roddenberry as "Wagon Train to the Stars."
- Ho Yay: Are Chris and Gordie like brothers or a couple?
- Jerkass Woobie: Teddy is short-tempered, obnoxious, cruel and nasty but his homelife sounds so horrible you can't help but feel for him.
- Moral Event Horizon: When Ace is about to knife Chris.
- Nausea Fuel: The "Lard-Ass" story, and the leeches.
- The Woobie: Gordie, who by the end of the film has lost the only two people who ever really cared about him, and Chris, who works incredibly hard to make something of himself only to be cut down for a stupid reason by a thug.