- Award Snub: A minor one, but notable. This was the only Western Ford directed that earned him a Best Director nomination. He lost out to Victor Fleming on Gone with the Wind.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Gatewood complains that America should have a businessman president. It got two, Herbert Hoover and George W. Bush.
- The reference to Hoover was almost certainly deliberate on Ford's part.
- Star-Making Role: John Wayne had been a bit player and B-movie actor for nearly a decade before this film made him a huge star.
- Ford had known Wayne for some time and had become friends with him, but refused to cast him in any of his movies until he was sure Wayne was ready for it. Ford got ahold of this script and figured Wayne was ready for it.