YMMV: Spike Lee
- Base Breaker: His take on remaking Oldboy can be considered this, feeling it's weak in comparison to the original.
- Giving his own interpretation of the ending to Do the Right Thing, mainly due to others feeling that Lee is doing a nasty Take That to his audience (basically the interpretation is him saying "White people won't get the ending") while some feel it ruins the mystic of the ending interpretation, hitting Death of the Author levels.
- Memetic Mutation: "A Spike Lee Joint"
- After giving out the wrong address of George Zimmerman on Twitter, "Spike Lee Angrily Tweets", wherein he posts something about an unrelated but similar-sounding person or subject to the article in question became a running joke on many sites including the Onion AV Club. For example, "Charles Manson about to get married in jail, Spike Lee angrily tweets Marilyn Manson's address".
- Minority Show Ghetto: His focus on black people might cause his work to fall into this. His highest grossest film, Inside Man, does star black actor Denzel Washington, but features a more diverse cast than his highly praised, but less successful films like Malcolm X and Do the Right Thing.