- Adaptation Displacement: It was originally written for the Atari 8 bit computer and Commodore 64, but everyone remembers the extra unforgiving NES version.
- Demonic Spiders: Everything, really, but especially spiders in Spelunker HD. They're practically invisible against the background and surprisingly hard to jump over. They also travel in packs.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Created in the USA, but popular in Japan.
- Memetic Mutation - In Japan, there's many remixes of the NES version's main level music, and the Spelunker himself shows up in many remix videos, such as this one. The fragility of the protagonist is also memetic.
- Most Annoying Sound: The jingle when you die. You'll be hearing it a lot.