- He Really Can Act: Critics offered heavy praise for Bela Lugosi's performance as Ygor, with some even calling it the best of his entire career.
- Ho Yay: The monster and Ygor.
- I Am Not Shazam: Wolf lampshades the fact that people mistakenly refer to the Monster as Frankenstein.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- The Monster crosses this when he decides to murder the Baron's son by hurling him into a sulfur pit. Ygor starts out well on the other side of the horizon, having spent years manipulating the Monster into doing his dirty work.
- In the backstory, the Monster crippled Krogh by ripping his arm out of its socket. When he was a small boy.
- Nightmare Fuel: The utterly creepy way that Ygor tells Frankenstein what the Monster was doing when he was struck by lightning.
Ygor: He was... hhhunting.
- The look of slowly mounting fiendish glee as the Monster slowly tears little Peter's picture book apart in his hands is both splendid acting and utterly horrifying.