- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- When Tony stops Estella from confessing about her infidelity with Devlin, did he know something may have happened? Or was he assuming she was going to tell him about tickling Giddy (which he saw)? Or was he automatically telling her he didn't blame her for anything she may have done under the influence of the place they're in?
- It's left open how antagonistic Sheila actually is towards Estella. It could very well be that Estella assumes Sheila is being rude to her, and she only starts to see a different side to her as the film goes on.
- It's also left open as to whether there was something magic going on in the studio. Norman and Rose are believers in the supernatural, and it's implied there's something ethereal about Sheila.
- Best Known for the Fanservice: The entire movie was promoted around the fact that Elle Macpherson is nude in it.
- Counterpart Comparison: With Black Narcissus, another film where religious people have sexual fantasies brought on by an exotic location.
- Ear Worm: "She is handsome, she is pretty, she is the belle of Brisbane City"note
- Funny Moments:
Tony: Which island, Atlantis?Rose: A pity for women it wasn't.
- Everyone is discussing the Christians demonising female sexuality, Norman saying it was the thoughts of "crusty old men on an island somewhere".
Tony: Stop it. We'll be arrested.Estella tickles him even more.Tony: (trying not to burst out laughing) We'll be ex-communicated.
- During another argument at the dinner table, the models all spontaneously start singing while Tony and Norman are shouting at each other.
- Tony's hilarious reactions to Estella pleasuring him on the train at the end.
- Genius Bonus: The Australian village children have very Irish sounding names and Pru and Sheela can be heard singing the song "I'll Tell Me Ma" which is a famous Irish folk song. This is Fridge Brilliance when you take into account where the majority of Australian people came from.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Giddy saying she's done with men now comes across as an Actor Allusion now that Portia De Rossi is open about being a lesbian.
- Most Wonderful Sound: Sheila and Pru humming to themselves repeatedly during the movie.
- Narm Charm: The scene where Estella hallucinates she's naked in the church. You still feel sorry for her - as such a modest woman would be terrified at being naked in public - but the shots of her covering herself up are quite amusing. Especially once it cuts to her fully clothed and still trying to cover herself as if she were naked.
- One-Scene Wonder: The village tomboy Estella sees playing with the local boys. Has no dialogue and only briefly appears in another scene, but her little game with the boys is quite memorable.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: The famous lake scene is shot and framed in a way that looks like a baptism.