YMMV tropes for the books include:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Scirocco. Does he genuinly believe that banded bats will turn into humans or is he a Well-Intentioned Extremist trying to protect bats shunned because of their bands with soothing lies? Or he is tricking other bats with his sound tricks for his own ends?
- Then there is Cama Zotz. Is he an evil, ambitious god or is he Well-Intentioned Extremist who wants to reunite the living and the dead, and punish those who have wronged his subjects (bats)? Judging by the end of Firewing, it is a combination of both.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: In Firewing, this conversation between between Shade and his son, Griffin, just before Griffin returns to the World of the Living, making these the (almost) last words they speak to each other. Qualifies as a Tear Jerker and So Proud of You as well.
Griffin: But I wasn't brave! I'm not like you. I'm a coward.Shade: No.Griffin: I was always scared. Always.Shade: That's right. Being scared but doing it anyway. That's brave.
- Draco in Leather Pants: Goth sometimes gets this treatment.
- Magnificent Bastard: Goth is occasionally seen as this, due to his manipulative tendencies and inability to stay dead.
- Cama Zotz as well.
- Tear Jerker: Try reading the end of Firewing without crying. Just try.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: The book might be marketed to middle schoolers, but the series has scenes of cannibalism, ritual sacrifices, and suicide bombers.