The 2007 film:
- Harsher in Hindsight: The above incident? Truth in Television as of 2011... except it wasn't for an oil pipeline like in the movie - it was for carbon credits!
- Moral Event Horizon: Bob mentions at one point that the bad guys even shot his dog. Presumably, it was that one guy who had a problem with it earlier.
- In Point of Impact, just about everyone agrees that Colonel Shreck, RamDyne, and anyone else present lost their "we make the hard choices" credentials when they massacred a small village to make their point to El Salvadoran guerrillas.
- Aside from the dog, take your choice: The bad guys annihilate an entire African village just to make an example of what will happen if any village protests the placing of an oil duct (they didn't asked to place the pipe, were rebuked, and killed them all-they just killed them all, period), kill an archbishop that was going to present evidence of this action, and were planning to pull the same tactics on Central America before Swagger kills them all. And this is only what we see on screen.
- One-Scene Wonder: The elderly firearms expert. Not only does he fill in a lingering plot hole, but every line he says is in turns quotable, meaningful, and hilarious. Being played by Levon Helm also helps.
The 2016 series:
- Moral Event Horizon : Isaac Johnson, although he was already well on his trajectory to evil crossed a serious line when he strangled Donny's mother.