YMMV: Shinryaku! Ika Musume
- Awesome Music: The Season 2 opening, High Powered.
- Awesomeness Withdrawal: With only 13 episodes, some fans can't find the same kind of amusement when watching the anime shows in the Winter 2011 and beyond that they found in Ika Musume. Luckily with the manga is still on-going with about 300 chapters.
- Crazy Awesome: Chizuru.
- Ear Worm: The Season 1 and OVA openings.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Mini-Ika went over so well with viewers that she will star in a few mini episodes on the DVD release!
- Fridge Brilliance: When Squid Girl goes on a hypnosis rampage with an MIT-built hypnosis coin, Chizuru is the only one who isn't affected. Aside from her natural badassedry, there's also the fact that she's the only one who's eyes are usually closed.
- Fridge Horror: Squid Girl wants to invade the surface to free the seas of pollution and exploitation. The first thing that happens to her when she surfaces is that she's contractually bound into working at a store at ridiculously low wages, (she's paying off the damages created for making a hole in the wall, and supposedly the repairs will cost five or six years of work). Squid Girl's arguably the best worker they've got too, as she's both an attraction and has ten extendable limbs not including her arms. In short, she's being exploited, just like the rest of the ocean she so dearly wishes to protect. Luckily, the show never tends to focus on this aspect too much.
- Fridge Logic:
- The store is destroyed and rebuilt by the American research team in episode 9. And yet the patched hole in the wall can clearly be seen in later episodes. So what, they rebuilt the wall, complete with patch?
- Chizuru might have requested (rather, demanded) this specifically, considering how she wants Ika to continue working at Lemon.
- Was Cindy just yanking Eiko's chain in episode S2 4.1 when she seemed to suddenly forget Japanese?
- Friendly Fandoms: With Splatoon, due to them both having squids. The creator of the manga has even drawn Splatoon fanart, and Ika's outfit is available as in-game content.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Chapter 39 of the manga, which was not adapted for the first season of the TV series and probably won't be for the second. Jokes about earthquakes don't seem quite so funny ever since 11 March 2011. The real knife-twist is that said chapter even mentions Tsunami.
- Genius Bonus: Apart from the Shout Out listed below, the American scientists also yell "I shall return!", which will only make sense to those familiar with World War II.
- Les Yay: Sanae really likes Ika... and likes, uh, dressing her up suggestively.
Eiko: You were 90 percent serious.Sanae: That's a lie! I was 100 percent serious!
- Cindy really likes Ika too, thanks to her "alien heritage." At least for Ika though, she's not as creepy as Sanae.
- Also, Eiko and Ayumi, the latter being bashful around the former.
- Season 2, Episode 9.1 (Chapter 69 in the manga). See it for yourself.
- Ika and Eiko can be (hardly) counted as one, especially with the finales of Season 1 and 2.
- Ika Musume wanted to test her 3D glasses by... grabbing Kiyomi's developing boobs!
- Magnificent Bastard: Chizuru.
- Memetic Badass: Chizuru, and rightly so.
- Moe: Ika and Mini-Ika.
- Narm: Those dogs in the first DVD special are far more funny than they are threatening.
- Nightmare Fuel: The episode "Who's The Mightiest Squid Of All". Squid Girl made several Nightmare Faces in that episode when she plots to kill them when she hears about food made of squid. Geez
- Also, whenever Chizuru opens her eyes.
- Paranoia Fuel: Ika. Not for the viewers, but for Nagisa.
- Squick: Southern Winds Owner's Ika-themed toilet.
Ika: I feel violated. *eyes tiny with shock/horror*
- Tear Jerker:
The end ofThe entirety of "Won't You Keep It?". What the hell, man.
- Ika Model One! You were a real hero!
- And the paper hat in the first episode. ...you know what, Ika can form a friendship with a rock and manage to make us tear up!
- You had to say that! Episode 4-3, Season 2.
- Let's just have a moment of silence for Ika's umbrella, alright?
- Though she kinda deserves it for being so creepily obsessed, it was heartbreaking to see Sanae's increasing breakdown as she tries to give up her Ika-chan, culminating in her deleting all of her pics and burning the costumes from episode 2, while tearfully saying goodbye to her unrequited love.
- The Woobie: Chizuru of all people. Even her own siblings are afraid of the sight of her with her eyes open, which leads her to stop wearing contact lenses. In Season 2 Episode 11.3 and OVA 1.2 she seems hurt by the fact that Ika and Ayumi don't think she's human.
- Woolseyism: Ika's Verbal Tic wouldn't work well in English, so the dub replaced it with Smurfing. It works.