- Approval of God: The author was pretty happy when they found out that Shatterheart and Reversal Of Fate had their own trope pages.
- Crack Pairing: The story initially began as a self-imposed challenge by the author, who wanted to see if she could convincingly write a romantic relationship between Syaoran and Kurogane. The reason the story became so long was because the relationship needed a lot of build up and pre-established bonding in order to make a convincing romance.
- Jerkass Woobie: Kurogane is violent, hot-tempered and almost abusive at times but his relationships with his friends are falling apart and he barely has anyone to count on and is horrified with his temper and tries to control it.
- Fai is horrible to Syaoran and Kurogane for half of the story, refusing to acknowledge Syaoran and resentful of Kurogane and his well-intentioned ultimatum that he was no right to make caused tensions in the house to implode. But one of his best friends ripped out his eye, stuck in a miserable world which they can't leave, is haunted by his Survivor's Guilt, his attempts to make amends backfire and is on the losing end of a Love Triangle.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: Regardless whether your love is destined or was the most important person, you can always move on and find in your heart to love someone else. Syaoran was literally destined for Sakura and the plot of the story started with his dedication to save her. With her being gone for years and the journey to rescue her brought Syaoran nothing but misery until he begins to fall for Kurogane. The decision is painful but Syaoran decide to move from Sakura and to be with Kurogane and is better off for it. Syaoran's father and Sakura herself are both shocked by this but accept it as Syaoran is truly happy.
- Don't take your loved ones for granted. Fai learns this painfully when his anger and bitterness over Clone!Syaoran's betrayal and Kurogane's Unwanted Rescue nearly drove Real!Syaoran and Kurogane away from. To make matters worse, his feelings for Kurogane go unrequited as Kurogane falls in love with Real!Syaoran. Fai has to work hard to make amends for what he did but they do forgive him and do not abandon him as he feared, seeing his genuine remorse.
- The Woobie: Syaoran has a pretty miserable time in this story.
Back to Shatterheart