- Approval of God: The author was pretty happy when they found out that Shatterheart and Reversal Of Fate had their own trope pages.
- Crack Pairing: The story initially began as a self-imposed challenge by the author, who wanted to see if she could convincingly write a romantic relationship between Syaoran and Kurogane. The reason the story became so long was because the relationship needed a lot of build up and pre-established bonding in order to make a convincing romance.
- Jerkass Woobie: Kurogane is violent, hot-tempered, and almost abusive at times, but his relationships with his friends are falling apart and he can hardly rely on the rest of the group. A major part of his Character Development is learning to control his more violent impulses.
- Fai is frigid to Syaoran and Kurogane for half of the story, refusing to acknowledge Syaoran and resentful of Kurogane. Later, Fai's well-intentioned ultimatum, which he has no right to make, causes tensions in the house to implode. But it's important to remember that he's stuck in this miserable world which they can't leave, one of his best friends ripped out his eye, and he remains haunted by his Survivor's Guilt. Then, even when he does start to come around, his attempts to make amends backfire, and he ends up on the losing end of a Love Triangle.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: Regardless whether your love is destined or was the most important person, you can always move on and find it in your heart to love someone else. Syaoran was literally destined for Sakura and spent much of the beginning of the story dedicated to saving her. His devotion to her brings Syaoran nothing but misery until he begins to fall for Kurogane. The decision is painful, but Syaoran decides to move from Sakura and to be with Kurogane and is better off for it. Syaoran's father and Sakura herself are both shocked by this but eventually accept it as Syaoran is truly happy.
- Don't take your loved ones for granted. Fai learns this painfully when his bitterness over Clone!Syaoran's betrayal and Kurogane's Unwanted Rescue nearly drove Real!Syaoran and Kurogane away from. To make matters worse, his feelings for Kurogane go unrequited as Kurogane falls in love with Real!Syaoran. Fai has to work hard to make amends for what he did, but they do forgive him and do not abandon him as he feared, seeing his genuine remorse.
- The Woobie: Syaoran has a pretty miserable time in this story.
Back to Shatterheart