YMMV items for the singer:
- Americans Hate Tingle: Her death was almost completely ignored by Americans while the Hispanic community were deep in mourning.
- Face of the Band: Selena y Los Dinos was Selena... and those guys.
YMMV items from the film:
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In the Japanese dub of the film, Selena is voiced by Rica Matsumoto, who previously voiced Rumi, the manager of the main protagonist Mima Kirigoe in Perfect Blue. Anyone who watched that movie would know Rumi impersonates Mima and she tries to kill her at the end of the film compared what happened with Selena in both this film and Real Life.
- Memetic Mutation: "Anything for SALINAS."
- Tear Jerker: Selena's death scene, made worse by "Dreaming of You" (the last song she sang) being played over her family and fans mourning. She was (and still is) a beloved Latina icon, and her death at 23 years old saddened many people.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: Many Selena fans had a problem with the decision to have Jennifer Lopez, who is of Puerto Rican descent, playing the eponymous musician, who is of Mexican decent. It got to the point where people started protesting to have the film re-casted.