- Crowning Music of Awesome: "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Jeremy Piven, playing a crazy hyperactive guy who screams at someone called "Lloyd"? Yeah...
- Bebe Neuwirth and John Mahoney both appear in this movie; they would later go on to be a recurring guest star and main cast member, respectively, on Frasier.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Are you more romantic than Lloyd Dobler?"
- "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."
- In a broader sense, Lloyd's "holding up the stereo" pose has been imitated numerous times.
- Tear Jerker: Lloyd's phone call to his sister after he and Diane break up.
A pen. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.
- Crosses the Line Twice: "Property" has a spoken word section by Bemis that quickly crosses the line.
"If you do have to sell your body once... Twice... Seven times... It'll be worth it!"
- Face of the Band: Max.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: When the list of guest appearances on In Defense of the Genre were first announced, it was pretty cool. Things get a little more awkward once you learn that around that time Chad Gilbert (who appeared on "You're the Wanker, If Anyone Is") allegedly left his wife for Hayley Williams (who appeared on "Plea" and "The Church Channel"). Said ex-wife is Sherri Dupree...Max's wife.
- Narm Charm: Max's delivery of the band's cover of "Got Your Money" by ODB makes it even greater.
- Paranoia Fuel: "Rats."
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Some fans say this of the new music. They've progressed, but they're just keeping from going stale.