YMMV: Safety Not Guaranteed
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Jeff's speech to Arnau about him needing to "live life and do crazy things while you're young" is a pretty typical (if tired) movie message to young people, except that was (and apparently still is) Jeff's life motto, and it hasn't exactly worked out for him. Not to mention that the speech comes when he's pushing Arnau into having sex because "you're a 22-year-old virgin" when Arnau is obviously feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed (Not like it would be okay and cool for a female character to be pushed into having sex when she's not comfortable. Arnau ends up having sex and his character isn't really examined again.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Liz is of fairly average and well-proportioned build, but Jeff alternates between her being "big" and "not that fat."
- One-Scene Wonder: Jeff Garlin as Darius' dad.
- Tear Jerker: Darius's story about when her mom died - she got out of work and called Darius when she was younger and Darius asked her to get chocolate milk. When she called back to inform her, Darius said "whatever", and that was the last time she spoke to her.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The time jump sequence was the film's only special effect, and probably cost half the film's budget. It was well worth it.