YMMV: Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
aka: The Story Of Ricky
- Adaptation Displacement: Not many people have heard of the manga, but have heard of the movie.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Oscar commits Hara-Kiri because he's too ashamed to lose to Ricky. When Ricky approaches him accepting his defeat, Oscar takes his own intestines and tries to strangle Ricky with them. You read that right.
- Crowning Moment of Funny:
- Guilty Pleasure: It's one big fun colorful gorefest.
- Memetic Mutation: The "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW!" scene, which has become quite popular with the Fighting Game Community, thanks to its use by caster Victor "Sp00ky" Fontanez at the end of his tournament streams.
- You can watch it here at the end of the Evolution 2015 stream, where you can hear crowd shout the words out along with Riki.
- "You got a lotta guts, Oscar!"
- Moral Event Horizon: Rogan and Brandon skin Alan alive after he refuses to kill Ricky in revenge for his godfather Oscar. They then leave his body outside on the garden for everyone to see, attracting the wrath of Ricky.
- Narm / Narm Charm:
- One scene of painfully funny Wangst. In the words of Dr. Boogie from I-Mockery.com, "After breaking the handcuffs off of his dead buddy... Ricky produces a toy train from his jumpsuit and lays it on the old man's chest. Then, he throws a big tantrum; screaming, jumping up and down, and flailing his arms."
- The scene where Ricky punches through a bad guy's lower jaw, then punches through his fist, and immediately afterward proceeds to scream "WE'RE HUMAN BEINGS, HUMAN BEEEEEEEEEINGS!"
- While she is being treated by the gang leader, Ricky's girlfriend screams out of nowhere and runs away from him while the drug dealers just react nonchalantly. She then runs to the roof and jumps to her death where we see a dummy dressed like her, whose head is inexplicably pointing the other way, fall and land stiff.
- Nightmare Retardant / Special Effects Failure: There's so many inconsistencies in the deaths it makes the gore much less disgusting.
- The Warden after he transforms is probably the best example in this movie. It's very obvious that it's just a man in a poorly designed ogreish-like suit.
- Shocking Swerve: The Warden completely out of nowhere revealing that he is from the same school of martial arts as Ricky in the last fight. And then transforms into a monster.
- So Bad, It's Good: Oh, so bad it's the best.
- Woolseyism: This is the rare example of a film in which the English dub improves the experience with delightful unintentional comedy, which fits in with the strange style of the film.