YMMV: Resident Evil: Retribution
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: At first glance. The Red Queen has taken over Umbrella after their repeated failures to contain the biohazard, and seems to have gone full-on homicidal, determined to kill Alice. However, it is revealed that outside of the Prime Umbrella facility, the world's population has been reduced to only the smallest fraction. Since containment has completely failed and quarantine is impossile, the Red Queen's objective (while the same - take care of the biohazard problem) is to ensure the extinction of the human race to let the infected die out. Since Wesker clearly states that Alice, the only specimen to successfully bond with the T-Virus is their "only hope", it makes sense that the Red Queen is actually trying to remove a clear and present complication when attempting to first contain, then kill her - same as she is doing to the remaining population.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The use of Daft Punk's "Recognizer" for the first teaser trailer.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The fact that Good Rain campaigned for gun control and is forced to use a gun anyway, after gun control became a hot-button issue in the wake of the Connecticut shooting
- Hell Is That Noise: The shrieking noise Jill uses to torture Alice.
- Special Effects Failure: During the Moscow chase, the car becomes an obvious CGI model at points, which becomes especially noticeable once it enters the subway station. The Lickers on the other hand fare a little better, and can be considered a step up compared to the stilted animatronics of the first film or the cartoonish looking ones from Resident Evil: Damnation.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Barry Burton, one of the series's most beloved characters after four movies of fans wondering if he'll ever get in them FINALLY does...and they kill him off. Countless fans were not pleased.
- Phelous especially
Phleous: Good waste of your Barry, Retribution!
- Phelous especially
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Good Rain is killed. Five minutes later, Bad Rain shows up in the same room. No potential Cloning Blues discussion is presented. Especially disappointing to those viewers hoping to see a Heel-Face Turn.