The Book Series contains...
- The Chris Carter Effect: Infamously. While the first half of the series is pretty tightly plotted, once Te is defeated and the treaty is signed, the second half of the series increasingly begins to fall apart. Character arcs go nowhere, there's a lot of Plot Holes, lots of unanswered questions (Why do they have super powers? Who or what is the Ancient Enemy? What happened to the Shiprights?), and the plot becomes increasingly incomprehensible and confusing leading up to a Gainax Ending.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: 2Face, D-Caf, and Violet are the most popular, but there are definitely plenty of others.
- Epileptic Trees: Tons and tons and tons, especially since a lot of the major questions go unanswered.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The books begin in approximately 2011. There are computer-controlled cars that drive themselves with on-board voice operated internet access, and the "link" device which hooks over the ears, acts as a cell phone, video camera, has internet access, and is voice operated. Considering some of the technology today, neither of these advances sounds out of place.
- In a more minor case, in 2011 the US president is a black woman. Well, the author was half-right...
- Magnificent Bastard: Yago.
- Nightmare Fuel: Arguably the whole point of the series. Listing it would be tantamount to listing the details of the story.
- The main character watches as the Earth is destroyed, in extravagant detail.
- Look up Heironymous Bosch. A series of his paintings are the only security system necessary for the Tower, and they're chased by nearly every Body Horror and Hybrid Monster in the paintings. Also the unmasked Reapers, or Tamara's Baby, which is Nightmare Fuel long before the readers find out just what it is.
- Special Effect Failure: The cover art ranges from "pretty good" to "obviously just a Photoshop filter". Compare Kubrick on Mutation's cover art◊ to 2Face on Nowhere Land's cover art◊.
- The Woobie: Billy Weir.
- For that matter, Mother (in a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds sort of way), once you find out that she's sapient and went insane from enduring hundreds of years of isolation.
- Also, 2Face. The way she talks about her facial burn is pretty sad.
The Fanfic contains...