- Epileptic Trees: Is Sarge, the supposedly main character of the game, B.J.Blazkowicz himself?
- Fandom Rivalry: With Unreal Tournament, again, and to day debates still rage about which one was the superior FPS. It's a friendlier rivalry than most though, and many of each game's players also frequent the other.
- History generally records Quake 3 as the winnernote although neither franchise has aged well. Quake lost it's title as king of multi-player FPS to Counter-Strike and eventually Call of Duty as the realistic modern warfare trope started to develop, while Unreal Tournament tried to reinvent itself as a Battlefield style vehicle based game but didn't get anywhere near the popularity of Battlefield 1942 which was released several years earlier.
- Game Breaker:
- The BFG, changed from an imposing, slow-charging superweapon in Quake II and Doom to a Plasma Gun on Steroids.
- The three new weapons from Team Arena, when taken outside of the pack: the Nailgun, the Chaingun and the Prox Launcher.
The Nailgun is a Shotgun with heavy-hitting nails which are guaranteed to destroy you unless you have the Guard rune.
Like Quake II, the Chaingun is a faster (thus ammo consuming) and even more heavy hitting Machinegun. Also, the same deal as with the Nailgun, in that you need the Guard rune in order to survive this weapon.
Finally, the Prox Launcher's mines can be blown but are hard to spot and players can even shot mines directly to their opponent, who will suffer "Spontaneous combustion" at the end of the timer, and cannot be removed by any means except death.
- The Runes themselves in some maps, with the exception of the useless Ammo Regen rune:
The Guard rune saves the player from almost any hit and regenerates health to the very top.
The Scout rune favors Hit-and-Run Tactics, especially in non-frag based gametypes. Not even the fact that it doesn't allow armor carrying will stop a very smart player who can and will steal flags before the defense knows there's an attacker on their base.
The Doubler rune can be coupled with the Quad Damage for 8x the amount of damage. Think of the disaster someone can do with weapons such as the Plasma Gun (which now is on par with the BFG), the Chaingun, the Nailgun and the BFG itself (enjoy your easy "Excellent" awards).
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks: The Steam version of Live, as it's basically just III Arena in all but name due to going from matchmaking-based multiplayer to more traditional server-based play.
- Most Annoying Sound: "You have taken the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have taken the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have taken the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have taken the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have taken the lead! QUAD DAMAGE! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have lost the lead! You are tied for the lead! You have taken the lead! You are tied for the lead!"
- Most Wonderful Sound: Every weapon sound.
- Nausea Fuel:
Cadavre: I let you hit me because I like to watch the pus run.
- That One Boss: Xaero. To summarize, he takes the Railgun and ALWAYS HIT, and if he's close to you, he can simply waste you with the BFG or the Rocket Launcher. Oh, and did we mention that he's hard to hit? Try playing in Nightmare.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Every single change made to Live inevitably leads to dozens of forum posts complaining about the change.
- The game going from a Free-to-Play game with optional paid subscriptions to a Buy-to-Play $10 game with sub services retired.