- Awesome Music: The debut album, from start to finish.
- Epic Riff: "The Wait", for one.
- Face of the Band: Chrissie Hynde.
- First Installment Wins: It will be hard for them to top their 1980 debut album.
- Refrain from Assuming: "My City Was Gone" is sometimes called "The Ohio Song" for its reference to the state in the chorus. (If the song were named "Ohio" it would be a Title Only Chorus.)
- Sophomore Slump: While The Pretenders II contains some of their best-known songs, including "Talk of the Town" and "Message of Love", it's generally regarded as inferior to the debut.