YMMV: Point Break
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The idea of Federal law enforcement using a college football star as an undercover agent seems ridiculous. But Jay Dobyns was exactly that, an "All-Century" wideout for the University of Arizona who later infiltrated the Hells Angels for the ATF.
- The fact that the director of such an iconic brainless fun movie is now an Oscar winner, which got it quite the Colbert Bump.
- Ho Yay: Johnny and Bodhi, in spades.
- Memetic Mutation: "Vaya con dios, brah."
- Rooting for the Empire: Some people have accused this film of romanticizing extreme sports so much that people who don't participate in them are portrayed as having boring, mundane, meaningless lives. Prior to the film's climax, the Ex-Presidents are practically portrayed as a band of modern-day Robin Hoods who use non-lethal methods of robbing banks so that they can live an idealistic life based around surfing and skydiving.