YMMV: Phantom of Inferno
- Complete Monster: In the first 10 minutes it is established that Scythe Master used a combination of drugs and hypnosis to erase the main character's memories just because he wanted to test a new theory. He then leaves the main character to train for months in the Mojave desert with no contact from the outside world. This was the second experiment. The first person he experimented on he rapes, brainwashes, trains as a serial killer and treats like property, oh and the girl was twelve when he started this. A third person he experiments on he doesn't drug or rape, but he does basically lie to her about events, encourages her growing hatred and turns her full Yandere just to mess with the main character. Oh and while he is doing this with her, he is repeating his first experiment, six times over, just in case.
- Crowning Music of Awesome:
- Reiji's theme after the first time skip
- KOKIA's haunting opening theme Karma set the mood very perfectly.
- Search and Destroy from the original game (which is also being used in the remake).
- Squick / Fan Disservice: Scythe Master's interactions with Ein.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: One track from the anime doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's a blatant copy of The Burly Brawl from The Matrix Reloaded.
- Tearjerker: Plenty of scenes really, but the crowner may be Cal/Drei's death in the penultimate episode of the anime and the "Ein" path.
- The Woobie: Ein, Zwei, and Drei all go through some pretty brutal traumas before and during the series run. And in the anime, NONE of them get a happy ending.