YMMV: Phantasy Star
- Contested Sequel: Phantasy Star III doesn't even look much like a Phantasy Star game given its radically different artstyle and its storyline separation from Phantasy Star II.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Many examples peppered throughout the series. Proof that yes, the Sega Genesis was capable of producing epic and emotional tunes suitable for an rpg.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Nei from II has a lot of fans. She is also one of the most recognizable characters (if not the most recognizable) from the series as a whole.
- She was even considered to represent the series in Sonic And SEGA All Stars Racing over characters like Alis! However, she didn't make the final cut.
- Fanon: Go ahead, ask some of the fans if Lutz and Noah are the same person. Then read some of the long, long justifying fan-fiction. May also qualify as Alternate Character Interpretation. In the original Japanese and Fan Translation hacks, this is indeed the case.
- For that matter you might as well ask if Rika and Nei are the same character, due to a case of What Could Have Been.
- Fandom Rivalry: Unsurprisingly, with Final Fantasy, with some added heat of the famous Genesis vs. SNES rivalry.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: PSIV is generally regarded as the best game in the original series. PSIII is...mixed.