- Nightmare Fuel: Freya in the pit of corpses.
- One-Scene Wonder: Ron Perlman as Gunnar, the king of a rival tribe.
- Strawman Has a Point: Kainan says the justification for wiping out the Moorwen was to tell themselves they were just animals, thereby implying that they weren't. But for pretty much the entire movie that's exactly what the Moorwen acts like and no more... a cunning but completely vicious animal. At best, the two are Not So Different, as the Moorwen retaliates for the death of its species by slaughtering those who had nothing to do with it, including people on an entirely different planet.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Anyone really, most especially Frank and Laoghaire.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Murtagh
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The books are very popular in Germany, for some reason, to the point of new books being published there translated into German on the same day as the English originals.
- Love to Hate: Jack Randall, naturally, by most of the fandom.
- Also Laoghaire.
- Nightmare Fuel: Contains more than a little, no surprise. High points include the lovely medical scenes.
- Official Couple: Jamie/Claire, Brianna/Roger, Jenny/Ian, Fergus/Marsali, Frank/Claire in the beginning of Outlander.
- The Woobie: Jamie, full stop. Every book introduces some new torment that he has to go through. In the first three books alone, he is raped by Black Jack Randall, accused of treason and murder and is hunted because of it, almost dies from fever and serious injuries, and is almost killed at Culloden and find himself separated from Claire and is completely miserable for twenty years.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The main title theme.
- Informed Attractiveness: Mrs. Fitzgibbons gushes over Claire, saying that she hasn't seen skin so clear and unblemished on anyone else over eight years old. Yes, Claire has beautiful skin, but we can see that nearly every other character has equally clear and unblemished skin.
- Les Yay: Geillis and Claire have a bit of this, certainly evident during their witch trial, when both Claire and Geillis are willing to die for one another, Claire even has a way out if she just claims Geillis corrupted her, but she can't bring herself to do it, Geillis then saves Claire by confessing to witch craft and to corrupting Claire, while the angry mob carries her away Jamie is able to run away with Claire.