- Awesome Music:
- The Hungarian music that plays during the safflower picking scene. Can be found here: 
- A Japanese version of "The Rose" being sung over the end credits and scene.
- Ending Fatigue: Sets in about an hour into the movie, really.
- Memetic Mutation: This conversation from the very beginning of the movie, on Tumblr - for some reason.
Taeko's classmate: Did you get good grades?Taeko's other classmate: No. But I don't care.
- Values Dissonance: Certain actions that Taeko's parents take with her might seem bizarrely harsh from a 21st century Western perspective, such as when Taeko remembers getting slapped by her father for leaving the house barefoot, or when her sisters and mother speculate on whether or not she might be retarded because she got a bad score on a math test.