YMMV: Ninja Warrior
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Minoru Kuramochi, a.k.a "Mr. Octopus." He has been ranked at number 4 on G4's craziest contestant poll and the number 4 reason to worship Ninja Warrior.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Some people complained that the English announcer Stuart Hall sounded like a pedophile, which was noticeable in the Kunoichi commentary. In 2013, Hall plead guilty to several charges regarding sexual assaults against minors and more charges are coming his way. As a result, the British version has removed his dub and redubbed it with Jim North's commentary. Doesn't help matters when this conviction reminds the British of the Jimmy Savile controversy.
- Scrappy Mechanic: The Backstream in Stage 2 isn't very popular with competitors or viewers due to it being a swimming obstacle, which is the opposite of the main goal of the course, which is not falling into the water. Heck, it's hated so much, it completely KILLED Sasuke 29's ratings.
- Shocking Elimination: Arguably every time an "All-Star" (save Katsumi Yamada) fails to make it past Stage 1. Ayako Miake in Kunoichi 7 on Stage 2.
- In Sasuke 27, Li En Zhi failing the first obstacle of the first stage, after having made it past the first stage in the last 6 attempts.
- That One Level: The Cliffhanger, on stage 3, where you have to move laterally while hanging on to a ledge about one knuckle deep, has ruined the runs of many all-stars, until they started figuring out that you need to swing like a pendulum, and only move your hands when you're at the right peak when your weight is at its lowest.
- The Woobie: Katsumi Yamada's legacy of failure and the consequences in his personal life.
- Kazuhiko Akiyama as well. After his victory, his health worsened and his sight started to fade. The announcers always let us know about this fact.