* AsideGlance: Occasionally Diana does this towards the audience at things she finds silly.
* AwardSnub: The lack of a Tony nomination for Creator/AaronTveit. And the loss of Best Musical for many.
** Also inverted, as it won the Pulitzer despite not being nominated. There was signifigant blowback for not only spurning the nominees, but for choosing a Broadway show over lesser-known plays.
* BrokenBase: When Creator/AaronTveit, the original Gabe, was replaced by Kyle Dean Massey, the fanbase became divided between who was a fan of the show and who was a fan of the cast. And don't even get them started on Alice Ripley vs. Jessica Phillips vs. Marin Mazzie.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: A lot of it, including "You Don't Know"/"I Am the One," "I'm Alive," "Make Up Your Mind"/"Catch Me I'm Falling", and "Light".
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: The show has plenty of funny and sweet moments, but it does ''not'' sugar-coat the difficulty of treating Diana's illness, nor the toll that it's taking on her family. The BittersweetEnding might not be enough for some audience members who keep waiting for ''something'' positive to happen for the Goodmans.
* DawsonCasting: Played straight with Creator/AaronTveit, who was 25 playing an 18 year old, and Adam Chanler-Berat who was 22, and playing a 17 year old. Averted with Jennifer Damiano, who was around 17 when she first started playing Natalie.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Gabe and Natalie, while extremely important, aren't the leads--that honor goes to Dan and Diana. Not that the fandom would let you guess that. Natalie, in particular, gets a lot of love and sympathy, since the show's (massive) teenage fandom can relate to her desire to be appreciated and loved, as well as her struggles to be the best.
* FridgeHorror: Natalie is 16 and Gabe says he's "almost 18". Gabe [[spoiler: died when he was eighteen months old.]] So, with basic math and the knowledge that pregnancy lasts nine months, you realize that [[spoiler: Diana was already pregnant with Natalie when Gabe died. She went through with this pregnancy despite the fact that her son died 3 months ago ''maximum.'']]
** In the actual performance, [[spoiler: Gabe was only ''eight'' months old.]] It's actually fairly common for there to be minor differences made in the script and score between recording the soundtrack and the start of the run.
*** [[HarsherInHindsight "I couldn't hold her in the hospital...]] I couldn't ''let'' myself hold her."
** But in "Make Up Your Mind," she says "We had Natalie to... and I ''know'' she knows..." That sounds like they tried to conceive a new child, not that they opted to continue a pregnancy through a very painful time.
* TheWoobie: Every member of the family for their own reasons.
** Natalie because she is neglected by her mother and always coming in second best [[spoiler: to a brother that isnít even alive.]]
** Dan is trying to keep together a dysfunctional family while trying to keep a façade up of everything being fine.
-->"Now I'm strolling right beside her as the blackhole opens wide, mine is just a [[spoiler: slower suicide.]]
** Diana is the biggest and most prominent in the show. She has to deal with a mental illness, what is either a [[spoiler: sadistic and domineering projection of her subconscious, or an angry spirit fearing being forgotten, who looks like the son she lost]], and to top it all off, her family is starting to crack because of her.
** Gabe. [[spoiler: If you really believe his presence is there.]] He doesnít want to be forgotten by a family he barely knew. Also, [[spoiler: a medical tragedy robbed him of life when he was infant.]]