YMMV: New Tricks
- The Ace: Danny. The guy speaks Latin, has an answer for just about any question any other UCOS member asks him, can play football just by reading books on it and "applying basic physics", can shoot a basket from a long way away, is a good father, manages to get a steady girlfriend despite his know-it-all personality... Frankly, his only flaw is being a stick in the mud about it all.
- Ear Worm: "It's all right, it's okay"
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Barbara Havers appears in "Queen and Country". Susan Jameson appears as a rich and attractive girl in UFO.
- It Will Never Catch On: TV critic AA Gill has been widely mocked for claiming the show would sink without trace when it first debuted; of course it has not only been going for more than a decade with very high viewing figures, but is also one of the most popular British export programmes.
- Magnificent Bastard: MI-5 agent Stephen Fisher (played by Tim McInnerny) in Series 9.
- Playing Against Type: Several examples over the years.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Averted with Steve replacing Jack, as they are very different characters. Less averted for Dan replacing Brian, as they are both The Spock and have family issues (though different ones) and for Sasha replacing Sandra.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: The reason Waterman is leaving the show - with the departure of all of the other members of the original cast Waterman has gone on record to say that he misses the chemistry he had with them and it's just not the same without them so he's decided to move on too.