YMMV: Never Back Down
- Cliché Storm: A guy is humilated by a jerk, then train himself hard by a wise mentor who acts as a surrogate father, beats the crap out of the jerk and finally gets his girl. How original.
- Point for point, this film served as a pretty spot-on remake of The Karate Kid several years before the actual Karate Kid remake, replacing karate with MMA similar to how the official remake replaced karate with kung fu.
- Contested Sequel: The direct-to-DVD sequel is disliked by the people who liked the first film, accusing it from being shoddy and pretentious, while the ones who disliked it tend to like the sequel, seeing its unapologetic pandering to MMA fans as Narm Charm.
- One-Scene Wonder: Lyoto Machida's surprise apparition in the sequel, as well as Eddie Bravo.
- So Bad, It's Good: The sequel, and, in a certain way, the first film.
- What an Idiot: The acrobatic fighter who faces Ryan gets a solid one. The guy spend most of the fight giving an elaborate but utterly useless exhibition of capoeira and predictably gets knocked out with a single punch.