- Crowning Music of Awesome: the film features a great soundtrack filled with memorable songs from the 80's and 90's.
- Notable examples include "forever young" from Alphaville and "The promise" which plays over the credits.
- Fountain of Memes: The whole damn script has appeared on a t-shirt at some point.
- Hype Backlash: Some have found the film to simply be boring and awkward (even though that's sort of the point).
- Jerkass Woobie: Napoleon might get beaten up less if he wasn't so rude to his bullies when they ask him simple questions.
- Love It or Hate It: Uniquely, both the Love & Hate sides of the equation cite the exact same reason for their opinion of the film. Netflix's recommendation system, which is generally quite accurate, just can't predict how people will rate this movie.
- Signature Scene: Napoleon's dance scene during the high school election.
- Squick: The farm lunch scene. Sandwiches covered in flies? Nummy! How about orange juice infused with raw egg?
- Watch It for the Meme: Or at least, the lines all your friends have been repeating ad nauseum.
- Jerkass Woobie: Uncle Rico. In the Animated Adaptation he is despised by pretty much by everyone. At the end of one episode is revealed that he is a very sad and lonely guy.
- So Okay, It's Average: Consensus is mixed like the movie it was based on. Also it didn't stand out much between the much revered Bob's Burgers and the much reviled Allen Gregory both airing around the time it debuted, the series was quietly cancelled after six episodes.