- Follow the Leader: After the success of the film, many TV commercials (notably candy commercials for Skittles and Trolli) tried to emulate the film's style by featuring absurd, deadpan humor and realistic-looking kids in late '70s - early '80s clothes.
- Fountain of Memes: The whole damn script has appeared on a t-shirt at some point.
- Hype Backlash: Some have found the film to simply be boring and awkward (even though that's sort of the point).
- Love It or Hate It: Uniquely, both the Love & Hate sides of the equation cite the exact same reason for their opinion of the film. Netflix's recommendation system, which is generally quite accurate, just can't predict how people will rate this movie.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Napoleon developed a huge bevy of fangirls. Enough that some newspapers and magazines ran articles about the phenomenon.
- So Bad, It's Good: Done intentionally, to mixed results.
- Watch It for the Meme: Or at least, the lines all your friends have been repeating ad nauseum.
- Jerkass Woobie: Uncle Rico. In the Animated Adaptation he is despised by pretty much by everyone. At the end of one episode is revealed that he is a very sad and lonely guy.
- So Bad, It's Good: In a manner similar to the movie it was based on.