- Award Snub: Many feel the film version was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar by The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Many believe The Return of the King won Best Picture because the previous two installments had also been nominated but had lost.
Clint Eastwood: We got Hobbitized.
- A lot of people felt that Kevin Bacon deserved more recognition (especially an Oscar nod) for his role but was overlooked because this is a film packed with heavy hitters putting in some of their best work ever.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Laurence Fishburne's casting as Whitey Powers became even funnier when it was revealed that he'd been cast as Perry White in Man of Steel.
- Jerkass Woobie: Jimmy.
- Moral Event Horizon: Quite a few. The one that forms both the plot and shapes the characters as adults is Dave's molestation by two pedophiles who posed as cops.
- The Woobie: Dave and then some.
- Brendan. He's lost both his girlfriend and brother by the end of the story.