YMMV: Mysterious Skin
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The heavily Shoegazing- and Dream Pop-focused soundtrack, since Araki is a huge fan of the two genres.
- Ho Yay: Neil and Brian clearly have chemistry, although their shared past keeps it from going anywhere.
- Narm: Not exactly this trope per se, but the ending can come off as this, what with the long and detailed description Neil gives to what happened to him and Brian. It’s so long and detailed and the general idea of what happened was already made abundantly clear beforehand, so it can feel somewhat over-the-top and forced when the specifics are delved into, but you’d be very, very lucky to feel this way instead of being emotionally crushed by it.
- Tear Jerker: The final scene where Neil sits on the couch with Brian sobbing hysterically on his lap. It doubles as a very bittersweet ending.
- The Woobie: Both Neil and Brian, due to both of them being raped and sexually abused as children by their baseball coach.