YMMV: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S3 E7 "Wonderbolts Academy"
- Base Breaker: Some fans disliked Lightning Dust due to her attitude while others liked her. See Draco in Leather Pants below.
- Broken Base:
- Spitfire's demeanor. Some were turned off as it was a far cry from her friendly and laid back attitude from previous episodes while others felt it was justified as she was on duty and it was her job to weed out anyone who was incapable of being Wonderbolt material regardless of past interactions with her recruits. Having a different-sounding (initially misidentified as new) voice helped this prespective. On that note, some feel that Spitfire seems to have completely forgotten what Rainbow Dash is capable of, while the episode's defenders point out that Spitfire would logically be forbidden from showing Dash any favoritism.
- Pinkie's behavior in this episode. Either it's funny, sad, or annoying.
- This episode. It's either Merriwether's "best episode since Hearth's Warming Eve" or "So Okay, It's Average but least it's not Mare Do-Well since the whole episode is written better".
- Draco in Leather Pants: It didn't take long for Lightning to get several fans who feel she has a Freudian Excuse for her reckless nature such as a personal tragedy in her past. Other feel she is a reasonable pony that underestimated how much danger Rainbow's friends were in and would have been remorseful had the others explained it to her better. This isn't as extreme as some examples because the Alternate Ending to the episode gives her a Jerkass Realization and has her accept that Rainbow was right.
- Fanfic Fuel:
- It is a Top Gun homage, after all.
- Lightning Dust is effectively to Rainbow Dash what Trixie is to Twilight Sparkle... but unlike Trixie, Lightning Dust is canonically without remorsenote .
- Which could make her a prime candidate for a villain creating a real Shadowbolt squad.
- A brief shot of Rarity hugging Thunderlane after he saves her is sure to inspire a mountain of ship fics.
- At the end of the episode, Rainbow Dash is shown "leading" a group of Wonderbolt Cadets through a set of drills, most of whom are well known in the fandom. Wonderbolt Squad Fanfics GO!!!!
- Memetic Mutation: "That's an academy record!"
- Narm: The arguably jarring application of Never Say "Die" in the climax almost dampens the severity of the situation at hand. "Smashed to pieces"? "Demolished"? Your friends are pony beings, Rainbow Dash, not fine china.
- Ron the Death Eater: Spitfire gets this treatment from certain fans for her Drill Sergeant Nasty portrayal, conveniently ignoring how this was clearly her on duty persona in contrast to her laidback off duty persona.
- The Scrappy: Pinkie Pie is even more manic than usual self in this episode, and it can be very annoying; you just wanna say "Pinkie, checking the mailbox every 3 seconds will not make the mail come faster." At the same time, though, you've gotta feel sorry for her and wonder just how freaking fragile her confidence in keeping her friends really is.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: The pink Palette Swap of Wild Fire, due to having a boyish voice. When she speaks a little quieter, it's more feminine.
- Win Back the Crowd: For Merriwether Williams. Only one of her four episodes the previous season had been received favorably, but this one was heralded as a huge improvement, showing an understanding of the series and characters that she hadn't had before.
Go back to the main page HERE