YMMV: My Candy Love
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: In a bizarre subversion, Amber after episode 23. First she learns that her father was an abusive jerk and her mother stood by and let it happen, and then she's separated from Nathaniel because he moves out for good. Your candy is at first sympathetic, but then Amber basically reverts back to being an Alpha Bitch losing a good chunk of sympathy from not only Candy, but the fandom as well.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Nathaniel is arguably the most complex character in the game. Is he really a nice, responsible lad who loves school? Or is he simply putting on a show for his really strict parents? When he was a child he used to be a horrible little menace but has he really matured past all of his negative traits from back then? There are very strong hints that point to no.
- episode 24 shows that he's a mixture of both. A genuinely Nice Guy who really does love school and studying, but can easily be cutthroat and sarcastic (not to mention vengeful) if he's annoyed.
- Creator's Pet: Rosalya. An example of Tropes Are Not Bad because, as stated below, Rosalya is still a pretty popular character in the fandom. But still it's a little jarring to go back to the beginning and see that Rosalya completely eclipsed Iris in the role of your best friend. Not to mention that her role in episodes have been increasingly larger.
- Creepy Cute: Black, the talking bat in the 2011 Halloween episode scares Candy, but he is a very kind little being.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Rosalya and Violette.
- Epileptic Trees: A recent relationship chart that came out neglected to show a 'family' arrow between Armin and Alexy. Many theories are abound ranging from a simple printing error to government conspiracy. The fact that a recent interview also confirmed that the boys are adopted does not help things.
- Fridge Brilliance: Kentin really, really wants to get at Debrah and Castiel for hurting your candy. Even when your LO'M isn't that high he's still super pissed. Now this could mainly be because he's a nice guy, however you remember how in the early episodes one thing that made him upset was that he could not stand up for you when Amber bullied you. Now that he has gotten stronger both mentally and physically, he possibly saw getting Debrah as a chance to make up for what he couldn't do before; protect your candy from a bully.
- Nathaniel spends a LOT of time at the school. Seeing his home life, it's easy to figure out why.
- Growing the Beard: Earlier episodes were pretty silly and run-of-the-mill as expected for a dating sim game. However later episodes have tackled much more mature subjects while also allowing the characters around you to grow and develop. It comes at the cost of more AP, but very few people are complaining about the direction the story is going.
- Ho Yay: Denied by Castiel and Lysander in episode 12. However Alexy's constant teasing towards Kentin can come across as flirtatious to some people.
- Alexy is miiiiighty upset and suspicious when you walk into the gym with Kentin in episode 21. And he gets pretty defensive when Candy points out his weird behavior.
- Foe Yay: For two people who want nothing to do with each other, Castiel and Nathaniel sure are willing to take every opportunity to talk/insult to one another. Castiel teasing Nathaniel about his 'measurements' (as a comparison to his own) doesn't help at all.
- In episode 18 Nathaniel, in a shocking moment of worry, lets you candy know that Castiel is at risk for being expelled if he didn't go back to school. He also was almost encouraging candy to try and bring him back (he certainly wasn't discouraging her). You'd think he'd be happy if Castiel left the school for good.
- Memetic Mutation: Ninja Nathanialnote and his facepalm of doooomnote ! Arsonist Nathaniel would also qualify, particularly on the tumblr. But the reasoning for this one is unclear... Lysandeernote ! And Castiel is on his period. Always.note
- Ascended Meme: Lysandeer appears in episode 21 if you choose the Red Riding Hood play. And yes they actually spell his part Lysandeer.
- Moment Of Funny: Several:
Lysander: I'm lost.
- Anytime Lysander has a ditz moment. His notebook was one thing. But his pen and paper (in school no less!) and everything afterwards calls for some funny comments. Episode 17 in particular...
Iris: Your list says Amber? That's kinda weird...Castiel: What are you smoking Iris?
- When Alexy teases Kentin about his fear of Castiel and later on, his fashion sense.
- In episode 11 whoever you are partnered with will make a big deal out of you holding the map. They take the map since they think your candy will lose it. Guess what happens once you need the map? Your candy is not amused but you certainly will be.
- Also if you partner with Castiel and meet up with Iris to ask about Amber:
Kentin (talking to Nathaniel): Your uniform look was popular in my parent's time. You come to school wearing a shirt and tie!Nathaniel: I love my outfit it's not old-fashioned! And you're the one wearing military trousers from the 40s!Kentin: It's better than your ugly tie!Candy (thinking): Damn. And here I thought only girls argued about that stuff.
- In episode 14 while practicing for the concert, Nathaniel's drumstick 'accidentally' flies out of his hand and just so happened to hit Castiel in the back of the head.
- In that same episode, Armin thinks playing Guitar Hero drums is an good enough for a live concert. Castiel's and Lysander's comments really make the moment
- In episode 17 Rosalya goes through your closet and LOUDLY comments on your underwear not being sexy enough...while Kentin, Nathaniel, and Armin are standing right there.
- This exchange (rough translation):
Candy: Just tell me I'm pretty!
- Episode 18 brought more to the table:
- The girls giving Castiel a death glare when he says he doesn't care what happens to the rabbits. It was super effective.
- The girls are dead-set on saving the rabbits and they ask the boys to help. Since it was very obviously more of a demand to help, all of the boys say yes. You then get a group shot of the boys agreeing to help and out of all of them only Lysander and Alexy are happy. The rest are using their mad animations.
- Your date with Castiel. Mr. Farzie walks in just in time to see Castiel holding your shirt prompting Castiel to say it's Not What It Looks Like.
- Kentin's reaction to kissing a rabbit.
- When first attempting to save the rabbits with Armin and Nathaniel, one of the rabbits gets a little too comfortable in your candy's arms. Armin proceeds to make a joke and if your LO'M with Nathaniel is high enough he will defend your honor. Violently.
- Rosalya takes you out to buy some clothes and no matter what you choose, even if you choose to IMPRESS him, Kentin will never notice what you wearing. His cheeky smile when he admits he wasn't paying attention also prompts a funny reaction from Candy.
Candy: You really think they'll change Maleficient's gender for you?Armin: THEY'D BETTER.
- Episode 21:
- Nathaniel's measurements, according to Rosalya, would be perfect if he was a girl.
- The argument between Nathaniel's and Castiel's parents (in a sort of Black Comedy kind of way knowing how much Nathaniel and Castiel hate each other). But the stand out moment is when grades are brought up.
- And speaking of, Castiel and Nathaniel really went at it in this episode. Their fighting was kinda of funny when it wasn't disturbing.
- Lysander's parents mistaking Nathaniel for Castiel despite his maaaaaany claims to the contrary. His frustration shouldn't be so funny but it is.
- Armin is playing as Maleficient if you choose the Sleeping Beauty play. Candy?
Castiel: You're in love...You're not objective.
- When Castiel teases Nathaniel for getting his measurements taken after him, Rosalya immediately attacks his ego by saying that Leigh is bigger than him
Armin(as you both are getting kicked out): And what about my game?Nathaniel's mom: To the devil with your stupidities!
- One of the things you can tell Castiel, if he plays the Big Bad Wolf, is 'what a beautiful dress you have'.
- Small one in episode 23. If you choose to talk to Armin and bring him to Nathanial's house, he'll lie and say that Nathaniel borrowed one of his game consoles. When he tries to get it back...
- The best part is he gets so into character that he still acts offended when she leaves.
- Moment Of Heartwarming: Episode 16 and 17 had several that stand out:
- At the end of episode 16 where the guy of your choice (except Castiel) comforts your candy when she breaks down into tears.
- In episode 17 Castiel gets his heart broken once again by Debrah. No matter what your LO'M with him is your candy looks for him to offer him comfort as well.
- Despite it being Easily Forgiven, when your candy forgives Violette and she runs up to hug you. Your candy thinking that that is the first time Violette has taken initiative like that is what makes the moment so heartwarming.
- In episode 18, EVERYONE gathering in the classroom and deciding to help the bunnies. It was the first time everyone was so unified and worked together for the same cause (even Amber, her crew, and Capucine helped. Though they weren't willing to have their names mentioned should they get in trouble). Not even Debrah managed to get everyone on the same side!
- Also in episode 18, even though there is a dress specifically needed for his illustration, Kentin is the only one who says you look pretty in every outfit you choose (after you get him to notice of course).
- Episode 23:
- Li and Charlotte being worried for Amber. As rude as they are to your candy, such loyalty and friendship for the Alpha Bitch is actually pretty rare in a genre such as this.
- Rosalya proving yet again that she's actually got your back no matter what cementing once and for all that she's your best friend in this game.
- Castiel really stepped up his Heart of Gold game this episode. And we can be sure that Nathaniel probably really appreciates it.
- Moral Event Horizon: Debrah has been committing before your candy even arrives. But she goes out with a bang that's for sure. When she finds out that your candy planned for her to lose her contract, her revenge scheme is to beat you up, plant a couple of bruises on herself, and then try a Wounded Gazelle Gambit.
- Nathaniel's father beats Nathaniel. And of course, once your candy finds out she calls social services. Near the end of the investigation Nathaniel TRIES to make amends with his dad and help him understand that he went too far in his 'discipline'...only to get a black eye for his efforts.
- Nightmare Fuel: Nathaniel's home life. The guy was so afraid of his parents finding out he learned how to play drums that he actually sends you candy out to make sure they didn't show up. Seeing the things that Amber does and gets away with (and what you see in episode 12) it really makes you wonder what the hell is up with his parents. And now we know that his dad is abusive and expects far too much of Nathaniel and while his mom is aware of the abuse, she ignores it completely.
- In a sort-of example, if you partner with Nathaniel in episode 11 and then talk to him in episode 12 it makes your skin scrawl when you think about why he got beaten.
- Neutral Good: No matter how mean you make your candy, she will still follow the rules and do what she can to help others. Episode 16 takes it to its extreme in a sad way.
- Reality Ensues: Episode 23 is being praised for its realistic portrayal of handling a child abuse case (from the POV of a friend).
- The Scrappy: Amber for being an Alpha Bitch. And any rival for the guys won't be very well liked by the guy's fanbase. Melody used to be safe from this but episode 23 got her some hate for her petty reaction to seeing you come to school with Amber and Nathaniel (plus her overall lack of awareness for what was REALLY going on). To be fair, Nina can be scary and Debrah appears to be sociopathic (and is also hated by more than Castiel fangirls due in part to what she does to your candy and Nathaniel).
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Kentin wasn't well-liked at first (his 'Ken' profile has a two star rating compared to the others who are at least 4 stars or more). But since he's come back, opinions on him have been much more favorable (his new profile has 4 and a half stars).
- Slash Fic: Same sex-couples are pretty popular in this fandom. BL-wise CastielxNathaniel, CastielxLysander, and KentinxAlexy are all pretty big. Pairing the girls up with the candy is popular too, but the most popular femslash pairing seems to be KimxViolette.
- Tear Jerker: Episode 16 is the most emotional episode so far for your candy.
- Though it completely and utterly pales in comparison to episode 23.
- What an Idiot: Your candy can make some...pretty dumb decisions. If anything, several problems wouldn't actually be problems if she just thought a little before she acted.
- To give an example: dialogue choices. Some answers appear completely innocuous or even right. This means many players are caught off guard when their candy follows up the statement with something so stupid that next thing they know, the boy they like dropped 25 points and Armin thinks they're a homophobe.
- Deborah has a little moment of this. It's bad enough she cheated on Castiel with someone he knew. But it's hard to fathom why she thought dating both of her bandmates at the same time was a good idea. Like did it really never occur to her that they'd find out? Either way that staggering moment of stupidity ultimately set into motion her visit to Sweet Amoris and thus her downfall.
- The Woobie: A few:
- Nathaniel, because someone in his house physically abuses him and his home life is implied to be pretty horrible since he prefers to be at the school a lot. with a sister like Amber and what Debrah did him to him, it is clear that sometimes his school life isn't that easy as well.
- Castiel's parents are almost never home and his former flame played his heart.
- Kentin's father has standards and when Kentin doesn't meet them it's off to military school! At least since he's come back he looks happier and it looks like military DID do him some good (in that now he has the confidence to stand up for himself and your candy). Still when you get bullied you don't expect your father to be ashamed of you.
- The picture of your candy crying in episode 16 has made more than a few hearts bleed.