- Ensemble Darkhorse: Pepe the Prawn, who appeared in over half the episodes and has wound up playing a major role in most major Muppet works released afterward.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Or Hilarious in Hindsight depending on how you look at it. Everyone being upset over Garth Brooks trying to break away from country music mirrors people's reaction when he released a rock album under the persona, Chris Gaines.
- No Yay: Johnny Fiama assures the audience this as he watches Bunsen try various outfits.
Johnny: (singing) Pretty Bunsen, not that I'm into that, Pretty Bunsen.
- Replacement Scrappy: Clifford certainly got this attitude from some fans who would've preferred Kermit be the host.
- The Scrappy: Andy and Randy. Fans were just as irritated by them as the other characters.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: A major criticism of the series was that it largely sidelined the classic cast for new characters, most of whom were rarely, if ever, seen again after the show ended.
- We're Still Relevant, Dammit: Though not so much a case of "We're still relevant to the times, dammit!" as much a case of "We're still relevant without Jim Henson, dammit!". YMMV on how well the series answered that question.